Social Psychology Research Paper
For this paper, you’ll examine social psychology in a practical context.
Specifically, you are to analyze EITHER:
1) a phenomenon related to COVID-19 OR
2) a phenomenon related to the election.
You’ll analyze this phenomenon using the principles in the NOBA book.
Please write a 4000 character paper. You are welcome to integrate evidence from the NOBA book or other sources if you’d like (although if you cite anything besides the lecture and the NOBA book, please include a “references” section).
The most important criterion is to make an explicit and effective link between the examples of the phenomenon you’re discussing and the psychological principles you’ve identified to explain them.
Must have all the following:
Accuracy (Is the psychological principle described correctly? Is the description of the real-life example free from factual errors? Does the paper show that the author understands the psychological principle being discussed?)
Completeness (Is the principle described in sufficient depth? Are obvious relevant applications of the principle to the real-life event discussed? Is there evidence for the assertions the author makes?)
Writing (Are there weaknesses in grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and word choice? Is the paper well-organized? Is the writing clear?)
Originality (How creative is the paper? Are its ideas novel, or do they merely recap examples discussed in class or the textbook? Does the author involve any external resources, or otherwise contribute something unique? Is the paper interesting?)
Effectiveness (Is the psychological principle well-chosen, well-matched to the practical example? Is the link between the two explicit and well-argued? Does the principle in fact reveal something about the real-life example; does it inform our understanding of it?)
Looking for something similar? Click HERE to order. Thank you.
Question 1: Mental Health Bio/Autobiographical Book Diagnosis and Evaluation
A famous person from history must be selected. The person does not need to have been diagnosed with a mental disorder, but a strong case should be able to be made for the existence of one.
You will need to find (and read) a biography or autobiography of the person you have chosen.
Part 1: Case History
Report on the person’s personal history focusing on the factors related to mental disorder(s). The focus of this section should be to explore aspects of the person’s life that might relate to the development of the disorder(s). You should focus on three areas:
- Biological factors such as family history of mental disorder, medical problems or brain disorders.
- Discuss psychological factors such as personality, unconscious conflict and defense mechanisms, cognitive styles, learning experiences and/or psychological trauma.
- Discuss social factors such as family history, social relations and/or cultural influences.
Remember that all three areas need to be covered and exemplary papers will include more than one piece of information in each area. If there is no information on an area the reason for this should be stated.
Part 2: Signs and Symptoms of Mental Disorder
Report all of the signs and symptoms of the mental disorder that the person exhibits. Use the DSM-5 for the specific criteria noted. You should note all symptoms that they show, not just the ones that fit your diagnosis.
Part 3: Diagnosis
You should include a complete diagnosis (like we have been doing for other case studies) making sure to highlight the criteria that convinces you that they meet that diagnosis. This will be easier to do if you choose a specific time in their life instead of trying to look at the whole life.
Question 2: Mental Health in Cinema Diagnosis and Evaluation
Select a film and review the film as an Abnormal Psychology student, not just a movie-watcher. You will provide a summation of the selected movie and discuss it from a psychological perspective.
Part 1: Movie Summary and Character Introduction
This section should include a BRIEF summary of the movie itself and introduce the specific character that you will be discussing. Also note if there is a diagnosis given or noted in the movie itself.
Part 2: Signs and Symptoms of Mental Disorder
Report all of the signs and symptoms of the mental disorder that the character exhibits. Use the DSM-5 for the specific criteria noted. You should note all symptoms not just the ones that fit the diagnosis.
Part 3: Diagnosis
You should include a complete diagnosis (like we have been doing for other case studies) making sure to highlight the criteria that convinces you that they meet that diagnosis. Answer the following questions:
- If there is a diagnosis noted in the movie itself does it agree with your diagnosis?
- Is the disorder accurately depicted in the movie?
Part 4: Treatment
This section should include any treatments being used in the movie. You should note if the treatments being used are portrayed as successful and also if that is the recommended treatment based on what you have learned from this class.
Question 3: Annotated Bibliography
This project is a research and writing assignment that will allow you to become experts on a particular subject of psychopathology that is of interest to you. You will read and synthesis peer reviewed articles on the particular psychopathology that you choose.
- The sources reviewed should focus on a narrow topic: prevention, treatment, assessment orassociated controversies.
- Sources may only include peer reviewed journals.
- Sources should focus on the DSM-5 diagnosis and should be dated between 2013-2021.
- All sources should be cited in APA format.
For help on writing an annotated bibliography click here
Life Span Interview Research Paper
Interviews may be done via phone, Skype, email, etc. Take notes or record (with permission) your interview.
Below are some suggestions for your conversation. You do not need to cover all of these topics in your paper, but they will help you shape your discussion. Be sure to note which topics you discuss.
- Your paper should be 4 pages long not including the title and reference pages.
- Be sure to include a brief introduction and a conclusion to your paper.
- Use current APA Style throughout, include a title page, cite your interviews parenthetically within the paper, and include a reference page for any other resources you use, such as your text or course materials.
Locus of Control & COVID-19 essay questions
Respond with 1-2 sentences
1. While we cannot control the dire circumstances that we are facing as individuals and as nations,
and we cannot predict what the future will bring, we do have the capability to lessen the
intensity of our anxiety and despair by changing our _______________ ___________ (fill in the
2. Explain locus of control in your own words.
3. What do people with a strong internal locus of control believe?
4. What do people with a strong external locus of control believe?
5. What is one positive result of having an internal locus of control?
6. Why may people with a strong internal locus of control fare better during a pandemic?
7. What did the 1972 Sims and Baumann study and about locus of control and tornados?
8. How can we use our knowledge of locus of control to lessen our anxiety during this crisis?
9. Overall, do you think you more an internal or external locus of control?
Cognitive bias essay
Who are you? What do you believe? What cognitive biases do you have? These are big questions to answer, but necessary to consider before moving forward in your professional life.
In a one- to two-page paper, consider the people and experiences that have shaped how you see yourself, how you see life, and, most importantly, how they have shaped your biases.
- List and then describe a minimum of three things you believe to be true, such as the existence of God, right vs. wrong, morality, and what it means to be a “good” person.
- Explain, in detail, how you acquired these beliefs (including the other people or experiences that have influenced you most), why these beliefs are important and how these beliefs will influence how you engage with people and policies in your future career. Do not simply say something like, “I believe in doing the right thing because it is the right thing.” You must really dig deep into your psyche and analyze your own perspective of the world; make your brain hurt!
Your paper must be in APA Style, typed, and proofread. You do not need an abstract or outside references for this paper.